It's Beginning to Look a Little Like Christmas

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

No snow in the forecast, none on the ground, and 9 degrees above freezing tomorrow, and it is looking more and more like it will be a green Christmas.  I can count on one hand the number of times we have had a green Christmas in my lifetime.

Snow would also be nice to give us the Christmas spirit and to give us an activity to do at Sweet Pea's birthday party this Saturday.  On the other hand, the girls outgrew their snow pants and the only place I could find their size with bibs was out of stock and not getting any more until January 7th. Maybe the snow will hold off until their new pants come in?

Despite the lack of snow, I am decorating for Christmas and doing all of the normal December activities.  When it comes to driving, or trying to park my car in a parking lot where all of the lines are covered with snow, the current lack of snow is quite convenient, but the ambiance is definitely lacking.

That doesn't stop us from lighting our Christmas lights every night and from putting up our Christmas tree.  Here's a rather blurry photo of our Christmas lights which are just a straight line of white lights across the front of our house, just the way I like it.  In the photo, there is a light dusting of snow, which has since melted.


I suppose people who live in warm climates never have snow and it still feels like Christmas, but we Canadians, especially where I live, really rely on the changing of the seasons.  Warm sweaters and mittens mean fall and back to school.  Rubber boots, mud and rain signals spring.  Warm, humid temperatures and tank tops mean summer, and winter means snow.

You could get technical on me and tell me that winter doesn't start until next week, but every Ottawan I know will tell you that winter starts on the first of December and goes to March 31st.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP