Biblical Bread

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Do you remember in the 'old' days (1970's and 1980's), when brown bread was considered a healthy food and most kids preferred white? As long as I can remember, we have eaten brown bread in my house and I thought I was making a good choice.

It turns out, that brown bread just doesn't cut it anymore. There's brown bread that is brown because of colouring. Whole wheat isn't enough anymore.  It should be whole grain.

I decided to try to follow some of the suggestions in Tosca Reno's Eat Clean book and she recommends Ezekiel bread, among other foods. I had no idea what Ezekiel bread was and couldn't even find it at my local grocery store.

I finally found the bread in the frozen organic section of a bigger grocery store.  It being already frozen wasn't an issue as I usually keep my bread in the freezer anyway since I go through a loaf every 3 to 4 weeks.

What did phase me was reading the package, only to discover that the bread is named after a Bible verse!

"Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself" - Ezekiel 4, 9.

That threw me for a loop. The bread itself was hearty; not at all light, and quite flavourful. I decided to compare nutrition labels, with the Dempster's 100% whole wheat bread we usually keep in the house. It isn't all that different, although it does have a touch more of the healthy stuff; fibre, protein, and a touch less of the undesirable stuff: salt, carbs, sugar.

I think I'll keep eating it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP