Anybody out There?

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I know I've been neglecting my blog lately so I decided I will just post something to let everyone know that I'm still here and have lots to tell you!

We've had some pretty outrageous weather here over the last couple of months. There have been lots of thunderstorms. In fact, we're having one right now.

So when I called a tree service about taking down our Norway/Manitoba Maple tree in the back yard, it was weeks before they could even come to give an estimate. With an outbreak of Emerald Ask Borer in our city, the tree services have plenty to do.

Our maple wasn't in very good shape, and it's one of those fast-growing, non-native Maples that should not be planted here, as far as I'm concerned. The fall colour was nice, but that's about it. Much of our lawn was shaded by the tree, and it didn't really do much but crowd our pine and tamarack tree, and kill the lawn underneath. The tree was even slowly rising out of the ground and was getting higher and higher, with more and more root exposed.

Despite the cost of having the tree taken down, we didn't see much choice but to do it as the tree trunk was splitting in two places, and with it being taller than a three-storey house, it definitely wasn't a do-it-yourself job.

Above is the tree, just to the right of the slide.
Here's what our neighbour's house looks like now that the tree is gone. I'm standing the opposity back corner of my yard. You can see the large crater in the lawn, which is still there 2 months later. We haven't got around the chopping out the roots and re-sodding this spot, but the grass all around is happier, we have beautiful morning sun in our windows now, and there's more room to play in the back yard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP