On My Own

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This past weekend, DH went on a ski weekend with Mr. Boy and some other male members of the family. There used to be a time when this kind of absence would scare me and I would wrack my brain over how I would manage to parent the kids for a whole weekend without Daddy. I would try to plan meals ahead, and arrange visits and playdates and generally over-plan and work myself up over how I would fill the time. I did a little bit of that before this weekend and almost over-scheduled myself.
Turns out, the girls and I did fine alone, thank-you-very-much. We went to skating lessons and gymnastics. We stopped at the store. Watched a movie on Saturday night. We ate all our meals at home. I did the laundry, cleaned, sewed, watched TV, and stopped at the knitting store. Sweet Pea went to a birthday party, and Precious and I got groceries, and I even got the girls ready, all dressed up and took them to their piano recital on Sunday afternoon.
I'm loathe to show any vulnerability (just ask DH who will tell you that I am fiercely independent) so even admitting that I have had my doubts about having the kids home alone is hard. Granted, with only two of the three kids, my life was a bit easier. Sweet Pea is much more likely to play with Precious if her big brother isn't there.
The reality is that my kids are getting older. My youngest child is 5 years old, even if she is 3 years old developmentally. That makes life a whole lot easier and means that DH doesn't have to worry about me when he's not here.

2 comments:

Dad,  February 17, 2011 at 8:01 AM  

Well your old man's eyesight isn't what it use to be and I would appreciate if you used a larger font.

Christine February 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

Glad you had fun Beth! Girls time is special time, I look forward to when mine are a little older so we can all enjoy it!! Maddy gets left out of the fingernail painting right now...

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP