New Wheels

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

We were proudly a one-car family for about 4 years. It was one of the ways we kept down our expenses when I was off work for 2 years, then part-time for 2 years. When I went back to work full-time and we switched from a nanny to a home daycare in our neighbourhood, I figured I could walk the kids home from daycare every day. The weather conspired against us, plus the lack of sidewalks on our route home meant that not only was it raining for a week straight, but our shoes, feet and pant legs were getting soaked, too. Precious was so tired after her first full days of school, that getting the kids home on foot was pretty miserable.

We couldn't decide what vehicle to get. A small, commuter car? A minivan? Another sedan? If we got a van, everyone could fit in it and we could even get in a friend or two. What about gas mileage? Cost? Style?

We kept trying to picture our future needs, but that was pretty useless. I don't think we're very good at that!

Finally, DH just decided and picked out a new car for us. I went to test drive it and liked it. Our new Mazda 5 has three rows of seats, so it seats 6, one more than our Altima. It's pretty good on gas, and it's versatile as each of the 4 back seats can fold down independently.The car is slightly taller than our Altima, but not as long. That being said, I guess it looks like a minivan. Beside our Altima, it doesn't look like a minivan to me, but I'm willing to concede that it could be considered a mini minivan.

My favourite things about the car are the decisive brakes, the cleanliness of it, the ease of buckling the kids in, the sliding doors on the side (no more worrying about the kids smashing other cars in a parking lot!) the thermostat-controlled interior heater and being able to plug in my iPod into the stereo. Now if only I could remember to put my iPod in the car when I'm driving somewhere!

1 comments:

Carole December 10, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

someone told is it's a "wagon". Is that better or worse than a minivan? not exactly sure :)

they're very uncommon here, actually, not sure why, given the seating and reasonable mileage. I've noticed that in the US, people pronounce the name as "Mawzda" instead of "Mazz-da" like I remember from the Canadian commercials.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP