I used to be a 10, but now I'm an 8.5

Sunday, November 14, 2010

I went to see a pedorthist a few weeks back to get some better shoes. My stiff big toes have been bothering me a lot lately, so I've been wearing really floppy, loose shoes, which are hideously ugly, but at least they weren't pinching anywhere. Turns out, I was in a downward, vicious cycle since the loose, floppy shoes were actually making my toes hurt even more, causing be to be unable to wear stiffer shoes, which might have made things better.

The pedorthist was aghast at the shoes I was wearing when I showed up at our appointment three weeks ago. She got a history from me, did an exam, and measured me for orthotics. Then she gave me a list of things to look for in a shoe, the names of some companies that make good shoes for my foot condition, where to buy them, and a followup appointment for three weeks later. She also measured my feet and told me that I wear an 8.5. That's news to me since I've always worn a 9.5 or a 10. Turns out, I didn't need the length, but I did need the extra height of the bigger shoe.

I wasn't sure how I was going to find the time to get to the shoe store, Solea, as I assumed it wouldn't be open late on weeknights, it being a speciality store and all. Turns out, it was open late on Thursdays, but since I had Thursday and Friday off work, I was able to get there during the day on Thursday. After lamenting the poor selection, I managed to find a pair of orthopedic, rocker-soled shoes which I wouldn't be horribly embarrassed to wear in public. . I had hoped to come out of the store with a pair of dressy shoes, winter boots, and some slip on shoes to wear as slippers at home. At $260, plus $50 for HST (harmonized sales tax), I did find this pair of casual shoes, and it's a good thing there weren't any other shoes I liked. I'd be broke!

I had such a bad time at Solea, that I headed over Glebetrotters, and had an even worse time, there. The clerk kept going on about how we were in between seasons, and he didn't have any shoes because winter was almost here, but when I asked him about getting some winter boots, he used the same excuse! I left there frustrated and empty-handed.

I showed up for my pedorthist appointment on Friday night, and the pedorthist was pleased with my choice. She fitted my new orthotics in the shoes and I've been wearing them around the house, for a little bit longer each day.

1 comments:

Jim,  November 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

You have done well to go for help when you need it. Please stay the course with the shoes you have been advised to get. I see enough who don't follow the advice and pay dearly for it!
We know that good rocker soled shoes aren't the prettiest shoe in the world, but they make a difference in my feet and I trust that they will with you shortly! Stay tuned: there are more pretty looking ones with rocker soles coming to the market. They are being driven there by pressure from the likes of you and I.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP