Fall is in the Air

Saturday, September 18, 2010

When the air gets chilly in the morning, and the kids go back to school, and fall starts to arrive, I inevitably get the nesting instinct.

I subscribe to Canadian House and Home and Style at Home magazines.

I watch HGTV. A lot.

And I dream about furniture, painting my house a new colour, and tearing down walls or re-configuring rooms from time to time.

So when my co-worker told me about a Habitat for Humanity house tour, I was confused. A Habitat for Humanity house in her upscale neighbourhood? She pointed me to the website and explained the story to me. Here it is as it appears on the website.

"Recently, Habitat for Humanity-NCR received the biggest donation in our history; a nice home in a great neighbourhood. Our plan is to turn this gift into a major marketing campaign and capital funding drive. We plan to renovate the home (it has been untouched since it was built in the 60’s) using our very talented volunteer design pool in the Nation’s Capital. In the early summer, we will have open houses (over the course of four weekends) for public viewing, before we sell the home. It is our hope that, with the sale of this home, the special events and the Capital Campaign, we will raise $1,000,000. That translates into the ability for Habitat for Humanity-NCR to house 10 new, low-income working families."

Since then, a lot of work has been done, and the house is on the market for well over a million dollars. What was once a traditional home from the 60's, built by the same builder as my house no less, is now a modern and stylish family home in a nice neighbourhood. Since they're charging $10/person for the open house, I hope they make even more money for this worthy charity.


1 comments:

Mark,  September 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

They stripped the house back to the studs and completely redid the wiring and plumbing as well, so it is like a brand new house inside and out.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP