Christine is a Genius

Saturday, September 4, 2010

I was dreaming of my white kitchen with an island but I was stuck in a paradigm where interior (non load-bearing walls) were not removable. Once Christine suggested I 'steal' some space from my dining room so I could get the kitchen I wanted, I got inspired.

My kitchen currently sits in a narrow space behind the stairs, in between the family room and dining room.
By removing the wall between the dining room and the kitchen, and moving the eating area into the former dining room, and moving the dining room into the former family room, it isn't too hard to get an island AND a pantry into my 'new' kitchen. The island is long and narrow, but makes a perfect place to hang out when people are cooking and gives both more counter space and more storage underneath.

The pantry is similar in size to my current pantry, which I use constantly. There's a landing space on BOTH sides of the cooktop, and the dishwasher is located right across from where I would store the dishes, making it a lot easier to load and unload it. Beside the sink, I would have a pull-out drawer so I could have the paper recycling, composting, and plastic recycling, as well as the garbage. The fridge would be accessible to the eating area (for milk refills), and I could have my TV in the eating area for when I'm cooking. My dining room would be much bigger than it is now, which is great since I have a HUGE dining room table which easily sits 12. It's actually my brother's, but I'm borrowing it.

Since the dining room would be too big, I would love to steal a few feet from it expand my mud room and/or put in a small workshop, but I don't want to give DH a heart attack just yet, so let's not talk about that right now.

We have an over-sized living room which we are currently using as a dining room. It has our piano and a wood-burning fireplace, and it would be perfect as our family room. I wonder what it would do to re-sale to remove the separate living room and family room and instead have the same amount of space re-configured from three rooms to two.

Since this is still just for fun, although DH jokingly gave me the go-ahead on the project last night - if I can get it done for $7,000 - many of the details would change, but I can see the overall space would work.

I could still have a lot of fun tweaking the locations of appliances and drawers, deciding what kind of uppers I would have (ie. glass doors, open shelving, no uppers, etc.), thinking about a backsplash, figuring out where dishes, pots, glasses, etc. would go, but I'm happy to have this basic plan worked and to dream.

2 comments:

Christine September 4, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

Gee... I must say I like the title of this post!! Hehehehe... I had to share that idea because that is what we plan on doing, if we can - knock down the wall between the kitchen and eating area. Looks great so far!! What an exciting project that would be...

Michelle Peters - Jones September 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

Actually it would work really well. For example, we have no family room per se, but the living room moves into formal dining area which then moves into the kitchen, the first impression on entering the house is that it has lots of space, even if, technically it isn't very big. So, moving a three room config to 2 would work well for most families, especially those with small kids who want to keep an eye out for them all the time. Good luck :-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP