I'm Dreaming of a White Kitchen

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I don't really need a new kitchen. My 'old' kitchen is from the 90's, and we did a mini-update with new handles, countertop and backsplash about 6 years ago.

It's a nice-looking kitchen, BUT there are a few things that really annoy me about it.

  • The lighting stinks. We have two huge flood lights that make the room hot.
  • The fridge/freezer is tiny (18 cubic feet for 5 people - are you kidding me???) It came with our old house when there were only two of us.
  • We don't have enough room for compost/paper recycling/plastic recycling and garbage under the sink.
  • The dishwasher needs to be duct-taped and propped closed to work.The bars holding some of the fridge door items in are broken and have been replaced by a bungee cord. Classy.
  • The floor is cream with teal and pink highlights!
  • The oven runs about 25 - 50 degrees hotter than I think it does so everything cooks in less time and/or burns.
  • The hood fan over the stove doesn't exhaust outside, although it hardly matters as it's broken too! It turned on spontaneously one day and the only way to shut it off was at the fuse box.
  • The only logical place to store the dishes is immediately above the aforementioned dishwasher and you cannot load the dishes in the cupboard when the dishwasher door is open so everything has to be unloaded to the counter first, then the cupboard.
  • There's no island or anywhere for people to hang out when we're entertaining.
  • The under-counter lighting is flaky and will turn on and off spontaneously, plus the apron that covers the lighting comes down so low that the back of the counter-top is basically inaccessible.
What I do like about my kitchen
  • The skylight.
  • The back splash.
  • The pantry built into one wall.
  • The sink overlooking the backyard.
  • The double sink and single-handle faucet.
  • The big pot drawers which we use for tupperware, small appliances and spices.
  • The lazy susan in the corner cupboard.
The IKEA catalogue came recently. I noticed all the wonderful kitchen ideas in it, and had already downloaded the kitchen planner, so I plugged in the particulars of my own kitchen and started playing with the cabinetry. What I could come up with? Could my kitchen actually fit an island? Or at least a peninsula? Could I make it look anything like the kitchen in the movie Something's Gotta Give?
I played with a bunch of configurations. In one, I even got my dreamed-of island (at the expense of a big fridge and a pantry). Since I captured these images of my white kitchen in the IKEA kitchen planner, I've gone through at least 5 other changes, including making all the upper cabinets black or making all the lower cabinets black, or just the pantry, etc. It's still black and white, but just different amounts of each.
If we did put in this kitchen, some other things on my wishlist are:
hardwood flooring with perhaps a tile 'mat' near the sink
a little flat screen TV easily visible to the cook
a place to put the laptop while I'm cooking or for kids to play on the computer at the kitchen peninsula.

A girl can dream, can't she?

4 comments:

Christine August 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

Oh I dream daily of a new kitchen, unfortunately the septic and roof have been pushing those dreams to the back of my head... but only temporarily! I love the design you came up with that is so cool. What about taking down the wall between kitchen and dining room, and putting the island there? Just a thought!

meddler September 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

There will be no dreaming.

Carole September 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

dream away, that's what those kitchen planner programs are for :)

what if you kept the current cabinets but replaced some of the doors with glass doors like in your inspiration pic?

Anna,  September 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Wow - your current kitchen is so nice. Way way way!!! nicer than mine. :( You are so lucky.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP