Dyed in the Wool Again

Friday, July 30, 2010

I've been dying my hair one way or r another for the better part of 23 years. I first started with the "Frost & Glow" kit where you put on a cap, pulled out strands of hair, applied the dye which foamed and got hot, and ended up with spaghetti-like blond streaks. In the late 80's, I was totally working those streaks and I still stand by the fact that they were stylish at the time. As were my 'tall' bangs.

In my early 20's, I stuck with blond highlights, only occasionally messing up a home job, and started seeing professional hairstylists for colour once in a while. About 1992, I ended up finding a stylist who gave me an amazing haircut or two in a row. It was then that my love affair of great hairdresser began. The compliments I got on my hair were only the icing on the cake. I felt great with my great haircut. I started paying more for haircuts. After all, what else do you wear every day?

In my late 20s, I was still getting blond highlights, but by the time I turned thirty, I was into lowlights, and reds and even going for an allover colour. I was convinced that the red I chose was so natural looking that no one would believe it was dye. I'll never know if people actually bought it or not, but I know for sure that the colour suited me.

Once the kids came along, I stuck with my pricey and frequent trips to the salon for foil (never cap!) highlights in at least two, if not three colours - one lighter, one darker and one reddish tone. I also opted for a pixie-ish cut and had my hair quite short for a few years. It was harder to find the time to get my hair done, but I was addicted to 'good' hair.

When I was on bedrest for my third child, I couldn't very well go for haircuts or colour, so I saw it as an opportunity to grow out my pixie and my colour. After almost two years, I had all natural hair. Virgin hair, if you will. I grew it and grew it as long as I could, while still getting trims here and there to maintain a semblance of style.

Only problem is, my hair is thin and fine. Not fun. My natural dark blonde/light brown hair was pretty plain against my pale skin. I dreamed of looking like Lauren Graham or Emily Blunt. Dark hair, pale skin and blue eyes.

I finally took the plunge back in February and dyed my hair darker. After two applications of the chestnut colour, I used copper twice, and finally, back to the chestnut again. I've dyed my hair about once a month since then.

I was getting a little tired of the angled bob I'd had since last September and decided to go shorter. I wasn't ready for a pixie cut again, but settled on a short-in-back, long-on-top cut. I was in tears when I got home from the hairdresser. The way she styled my hair was hideous. I got home and immediately washed my hair. I've had about 5 chances to style it at home myself and it has looked different each time, but I really like it. I went to the gym, showered, and put in some mousse, then dried my hair a bit, and it turned out great. I'm so glad I don't need to spend 10 minutes with the hairdryer and my round brush anymore.

2 comments:

Christine July 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

Hey Beth, LOVE the new hair do!! I like your hair no matter what length or colour it is, you have this talent for styling! But you know, it reminds me, time to colour, I need a little hair pick me up... :)

Angela,  August 3, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

Your hair rocks!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP