Canada Day, Interrupted

Sunday, July 4, 2010

I had fun at my mom and Mike's Canada Day party, while I was there. During the day, we were all a little tired and decided not to go downtown. The kids were offered the chance to have a nap in the afternoon and then we would let them stay up to watch the fireworks. No takers.

DH brought us out to my mom's, for 4 but Mr. Boy was complaining more and more about his sore ear. He hadn't mentioned it the day before, but within 12 hours or so, it went from "0 to 60". He'd been swimming 5 times in three days, and had a runny nose.
I called the doctor, and the after hours support and no one was available, so Mr. Boy and I headed out to the emergency room of a small town hospital near my mom's. Tyler and Anne Marie watched the girls as DH was playing hockey. I'd heard the wait times were more manageable there than at the city hospitals, and it was true. We checked in around 6:00 p.m. and were seen around 7:15. p.m . Part of the delay was the 7:00 shift change.

After the doctor confirmed that Mr. Boy had a terrible ear infection, worthy of calling the resident to come and see his bulging ear drum, we got a prescription, and a warning for Mr. Boy not to go swimming until his ear is better. I knew he had an ear infection, but I wasn't sure we'd be able to get our hands on the antibiotics the doctor prescribed since it was a holiday. Mr. Boy was inconsolable since he didn't want to miss swimming lessons the next day.

Luckily, the pharmacy in the town was open, even though it was 7:30 p.m. on Canada Day, but I believe Mr. Boy's ear drum ruptured around the same time because his ear started feeling better about 1 minute after he took some ibuprofen and antibiotics, and the doctor had told us 20 minutes earlier that it looked like it was about to rupture and that it would feel better after.

So Mr. Boy missed swimming on Friday, but since DH was working from home, they both stayed home, and Mr. Boy got a good dose of XBox.

Now I have to figure out what a 'better' ear looks like so I can decide if Mr. Boy is fit for swimming lessons tomorrow. I also bought two different kinds of ear plugs for him to try and he will definitely wear one tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP