Board Games Galore

Thursday, June 3, 2010

I came home from work and the two older kids (6 years and 8 years) were playing Yahtzee together.

I have a bit of a board game fetish. I decided to see how many we have and I counted no less than 35 board games. I'm sure some are hiding in other locations around the house. We have various versions of some games (ie. regular and deluxe scrabble, regular and travel yahtzee, regular and 80's trivial pursuit), so I'd guess we have at least 30 different board games.
We have all of the usual games - dominoes, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Chess, Operations, Life, etc. and a couple of lesser known games.

Of the lesser known games, Sequence and Rack-O are my favourite. I've already told you about Sequence, but have I told you about Rack-O?
I inherited this game from my grandmother and grandfather, who were affectionately known as Nannie and Poppa. This game was often on the side table in the living room of my grandparent's house, and the great thing about the game is that almost anyone can play it. You can be the youngest player and still do well, since both luck and skill are needed to win.

To win the game, you need to be the first to get to a pre-determined number of points. In each round, you are dealt enough cards for your rack, and you place them in the order in which you got them. You need to get them in order from smallest to biggest, by exchanging any of your cards with the card that you pick up from the pile, and then you discard a card. You can get a 50 point bonus if you have your cards in sequence. It's really as simple as that. Amazon says;

"Rack up big fun as you race to put 10 cards into sequence: low number in the front to high number in the back. Sound simple? It is-with a solid strategy, concentration and a little luck! Whoever yells Racko first ends the round and earns the most points! Other players score points but only for cards they have in sequence. "

The game I inherited is a looking a little shabby. Many of the cards are missing, but my Nannie used old business cards and wrote the missing card numbers on one side. I love seeing her handwriting, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. It's also a good reminder that we needn't throw things away just because it's a little worn, or a piece or two are missing

1 comments:

G. Ames June 15, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

I was in local hobby gaming store thumbing through used role-playing books, as was my usual custom. I strolled by a shelf that was covered in several board games - ones I did not recognize. These had much different titles and artwork and suprised me a bit. I saw a game that looked interesting, something about building a French city by randomly drawing and then placing tiles. I couldn't pronounce the name, but I thought, "Hey, why not?" and checked out with a fresh new board game in hand.The game I bought was called Carcassonne, and I was fascinated by how well-made and fun it was. A friend and I broke it out and learned how to play and, pretty soon, my wife joined in. It wasn't long after that we were having friends over to play. One of them asked if I'd heard of another game, Settlers of Catan, and I was invited to come play it.That's when I discovered the Euro game genre.I fell in love with the games. High production value, approachable but complicated mechanics, colorful and interesting themese - these were a whole and entirely different breed of games. I was hooked. Months of Settlers' and Carcassonne games lead to me rapidly expanding my library. We bought lots more games in the next few years, until our collection grew to now over 50 board games. Here's a few of my favorite additions: Puerto Rico, Stone Age, Caylus, Agricola, and A Castle For All Seasons.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP