Awakenings

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The kids got a hold of a digital camera the other day (our old point and shoot) and took a bunch of pictures when our nanny was home with them. The photos were adorable but what I noticed is how cluttered everything looked, especially the office. I've read time and time again that if you want to decorate a room, you should take a picture of it to help you make decisions.Well, seeing the photo of the office was a wake-up call. It's nowhere near as stylish as I hoped it would be when we got custom bookshelves made for it, painted the walls my favourite colour ever - Buckhorn by Benjamine Moore, got new window treatments and splurged on a modern black glass deck. In fact, it looks like H E double hockey sticks.

What is currently in the room?
two electronic piano keyboards
two desks
three chairs (one broken)
a box of office things I'll bring to work if I ever drive in (I take the bus)
my tripod
an old filing cabinet
papers, papers and more papers
pictures in frames
a wire organizer with school projects and mementos to file
some scrapbook organizers which hold takeout menus, and medical files
a kids' drum set
and don't get me started on the bookshelves, which are about 10 feet wide! They're overflowing with books and magazines, and a few knickknacks.

A few friends were coming over last night, so I pulled out all of the books that I have read but was willing to give away, and managed to find new homes for a few of them. Then another acquaintance came by, and since she had just bought a camping trailer, and was looking for some books to read in the evenings on camping trips, she took the rest of the books!
I have fond memories of most of the books, but the reality is that I don't usually read books more than once, and I can always borrow them from the library if I want to read them again.

I am happy to see the books go. The bookshelf is just the tiniest bit neater. I will be working on making that office neater over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I will have an 'after' picture to show you sometime this summer!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  June 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Good taste in books. Your camping friend is lucky... and has a lot of reading to do!

Carole June 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

you gave away a prayer for owen meany?! ;)

love the wall colour--is it staying?

Beth June 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

The wall colour will stay. I keep trying to find more places to use it in my house. So far it's only in the front entrance and the den. I don't plan to change anything except the level of clutter!

What was the name of the movie based on the book? I just googled it and it was Simon Birch. So sweet.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP