Sugar Shack 2010

Monday, March 22, 2010

Mom and I took the kids to the sugar shack on Friday, the last day of March Break. I had read Dani Girl's review of the Log Farm, and decided it sounded just like what we were looking for - rustic, close to home and reasonably priced. I'd been there before but the fact that they had a sugar shack was news to me.

After buying tickets for the farm, the all-you-can eat breakfast, and the sugar shack tour, we headed out into the field that takes you to the farm. I just love these old split rail fences! It was really bright and sunny, which was lovely for the tour, but a little bright for photo-taking.

Here's my mom with the kids.
Here I am. I can't believe how big Mr. Boy looks! He'll be 8 soon.
On the farm, there was a nice fire, with marshmallows for roasting. The kids enjoyed that part!

There were a goat and a pig loose on the farm, as well as horses, a cow, sheep, and chickens in pens. The old farmstead was there, with straw mattresses on the beds upstairs, and a cellar. There was a blacksmith shop, a summer kitchen, and an old outhouse. The farm yard was awfully muddy, and I saw one 8 or 9 year-old boy get his boots stuck in a deep, muddy puddle, and end up coming out of his boots and putting his sock feet into the puddle! I was really hoping that wouldn't happen to any of my kids.

Then we took the very muddy path to the sugarbush. It isn't modernized, as I suspect they aren't producing maple syrup for resale. When we'd been to Fulton's, a few years before, everything was tubing, rather than old-fashioned buckets, which make it less charming somehow.


They had old metal buckets and we could walk around, looking for a full bucket, exchange it for a new one, and help fill up the giant vat of sap. Turns out, we could only find a dribble of sap, but it satisfied the kids.
They had maple taffy that they were making on ice from an ice machine due to all the snow being gone. What a weird winter we had!

Everyone was getting really hungry at this point. It was almost noon and we'd been walking around for 1 1/2 hours. We went for the all-you-can-eat brunch, with homefries, sausages, pancakes and syrup. It was delicious, and we were able to eat outside on picnic tables because it was sunny and the area was sheltered.

We finally called it a day. The kids were muddy and full. I was tired and I smelled like a campfire. With dinner plans that night, I laid down with Precious for her nap. We both slept like logs.

1 comments:

Valerie,  March 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Nice pictures - I really like the one of The Boy with the bucket. They grow up so fast! I didn't know you knew Dani - or do you just read her blog? She's in my "other" mom's group (with Donna).

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP