Dyed in the Wool

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I started highlighting my hair when I was 16. I continued dying my hair for about 18 years after that. For the last 4 1/2 years, I haven't dyed my hair nor highlighted it, but on Thursday, I dyed my hair dark brown. It is quite the change. Some of the strands are almost black and some are reddish, but the dye is still pretty fresh and I know it will fade.

I love the overall effect, and it gives my ultra-fine hair a little extra body. It looks pretty shiny and it feels smooth, too. I used HerbalTint brand dye from the Natural Food Pantry. I don't know if it's any healthier for me, but it has no ammonia or peroxide, and the thrifty side of me appreciated that I could use just half of the contents of the box, since I have such short hair, and save the rest for the next dye job. At $20/box, that makes for a pretty cheap colour job. Hopefully it doesn't look that way.

I used to spend about $185 every 8 weeks for the three-colour foil highlights/lowlights at the swanky salon.
I now have to wear a touch more make-up to balance the darker hair colour. I like the way it makes my eyes look bluer. Sorry about the crappy self-portrait using the point and shoot camera. It was the best I could do for the moment. The colour may not be perfectly accurate either, but you get the point anyway, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP