Sherlock Holmes!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

I'm also a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, having watched many, many episodes of the British series starring Jeremy Brett, and I've read many of the stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Boyle. Imagine my delight when I heard that one of my all time favourite actors was to play the famous detective in a big-budget, Hollywood movie! I love Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law isn't too hard on the eyes, either. The previews looked good, and Mindy was available to go with me.

Robert Downey Jr. is getting older, and with a fake nose in one scene, he looked disturbingly similar to Dustin Hoffman, but his misanthropic, dishevelled, and brilliant Sherlock Holmes was fantastic. He was all arrogance, and genius, similar to his character in Iron Man, and a little bit like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory.

Jude Law was good as the put-upon Dr. Watson, and he had a bit more personality than in the books.

Other than Robert Downey Jr.'s accent and Jude Law with a mustache, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, especially the action, cinematography, sets, directing, costumes, dialogue, plot, etc., etc.

My favourite line in the movie is uttered by Sherlock himself as he assists the police at a murder scene. Upon asking them if they have checked various things at the scene and finding out they haven't, he says in his most irreverent tone, "Data, data, data. I can't make bricks without clay."

This movie deserves to be one of my "favourite things."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP