The Mural is Done!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The area above the bar in our basement was a little plain. We considered shelving for that area, a mirror, art, wall stickers, and so on. We just couldn't decide, and we didn't have a lot of money to spend.

I saw this great birch tree mural on Jen Loves Kev. I spent $5 to get her template for the mural and it's been sitting in my inbox since July or August. I didn't have an overhead projector to project the image on the wall so I could trace it in pencil. Last week, I had an idea to post my need for an overhead projector on Facebook and within a day I had one lined up! Thanks Tonja and social netorks!In the inspiration photo, Jen painted her mural with the gray paint of her wall, with a little white added. I was more interested in dark trees on a light wall, as the bar is a dark area with no windows and used mainly at night so something dramatic would be appropriate.

Here I am painting it this afternoon. Yes, I was wearing my jammies in the afternoon, and yes, I hadn't brushed my hair yet. And yes, I had brushed my teeth, in case you were wondering.

It took a good two hours once I had picked up the projector, figured out how to use it, projected the image on the wall, and traced it. I used the wall colour and added in a touch of Benjamin Moore's Buckhorn, which we've used in our entry and our den.

The after, taken from the other end of the bar.

I'm really pleased with the results, and it really adds something to the bar. Other than the labour and $5 for the template, it was free to do because I already had paint, painter's tape, and paint brushes. And DH loves it, too!

2 comments:

Christine October 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

I love it, it's so cool!! I have to try that... just not sure where!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP