Curiosity

Monday, October 5, 2009

I always like to learn new things. It's hard for me to sit still as I am always wanting to do something, try something new, or finish something I already started. I am so curious about human things like personality, self-esteem, confidence, persistence and the like. Maybe I should have studied psychology instead of political science. Last time I checked, seniors over 65 get free university admission in Canada, so I should plan to get a psych degree when I retire!

I was reading in the paper about a woman who knows two people who are fighting cancer, one of them being her mother. Cancer is a scary thing, and I have lost two very close relatives to it in the last two years. Now I find out that one of my university friends has it. I'm having trouble with this one because she's my age and things like this don't happen to people my age. I'm too young. She's too young. I can only imagine how hard it is for her, especially with three small kids.

So this article talked about resilience, something I hope I have, but I can always improve on.

"Resilient people, it seems, believe there's something greater than themselves in life, have a sense of connectedness to others, use their networks, believe there is justice even when life seems unjust and know in their hearts that they can affect change."

-Julie Beun, Ottawa Citizen, October 3, 2009

I feel that this quote is true of me, but I'm not sure about that very last bit about affecting change. Maybe I need to volunteer more, and not just in my childrens' classrooms, or on my own sports teams, or at the school dance. Can I affect change? I'd like to think so, but maybe I need to prove it.

2 comments:

Cath October 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

Beth,
You create change and you don't even realise it. Just put putting your thoughts and words out for everyone to see and read, you do this. You allow people a chance to think about and reflect on things that they may never have before or at least not from your perspective. As Martha would say "It's a Good Thing"

Don't worry about me either. I am a fighter and not giving up anytime soon. :)

C.xox

Care October 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

"self efficacy" means that you believe that you have the power to affect things, to make things happen...the belief itself is a very powerful thing, and can lead people to be more persistent, more resilient, be more proactive about their health...

it's an important component of Albert Bandura's social cognitive theory (he's a Canadian psychologist)...

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP