E-Bay Newbie/Addict

Friday, September 25, 2009

I've had an e-bay account for a while now. I just never used it. In fact, I would look at stuff (mostly scrapbooking supplies) and never actually bid on anything. Or I would bit on something, and get outbid.

Mindy told me that she buys designer purses and some of her son's clothes on e-bay. I told her that I appreciate my neighbours' hand-me-downs, but that I would love to buy a bunch of stuff from one collection of Gymboree. The first and only time I bought a substantial number of items from one collection was with the "grown with love" collection by Gymboree, which I bought when Sweet Pea was 18 months old, over 4 years ago.

Usually I just buy a piece of clothing here, a piece of clothing there. Most of it can mix and match just fine, but I wish the girls had more 'outfits'.

So last night I decided to look on e-bay. Mindy assured me that people sold Gymboree collections in lots and I that there was a lot to choose from. Boy did I ever get excited when I started looking! I discovered I really like the "Lots of Dots" collection. I have no idea how long ago that was in the stores, but I really don't care, as the colour scheme is perfect for Precious, who is the one that needs the clothes.

I am currently 'winning' 12 e-bay auctions for kids clothes, some of Lots of Dots. I lost on 12 others last night, right at the last second. I have no idea how to actually win these auctions! I guess I need to read e-bay's "strategies to win" link, but I can't for the life of me find it right now. Maybe it'll pop up the next time I lose an auction.

In the meantime, wish me luck with my shopping. I'm going to need all the help I can get!

1 comments:

Michelle Peters October 2, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

Hi Beth, there's no strategy as such. The key is to wait until the last possible minute to bid, as you don't want to show your hand too early.

So, say Item 1 is on for 0.99. You only want to pay, lets say, 5 for it. So, you wait until the last possible minute (ebay counts down, so you can see) and depending on how the bidding goes, you wait until the last 15 seconds and then post your maximum bid.

So, two things could happen...

1. You win, as you've out in a bid and given people no chance to outbid.
2. You lose, because, other people have put in a higher bid... but it doesn't matter because you don't want to pay more than your maximum bid anyway.

Its also worth adding an odd number to your maximum bid, like 5.35 instead of just 5, because people do tend to put thier maximum bids as round figures, so often you pip them to the post with a few pennies more :-)

Obviosuly you do need a fast internet connection for this, though!

Good luck with the ebaying :-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP