Vets are Crooks

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Our new cat Lexi is adorable. We’re still working on keeping her off of the kitchen counter and kitchen table. She sleeps a lot, and she likes laps, and being petted, and playing with string. Adorable.

Only problem is that she loves scratching a chair in my room at 3 or 4 in the morning. I’m usually too tired to get out of bed and move Lexi to the scratching post. DH and I have resorted to throwing pillows at her when she does it.

I love my cat, but I definitely believe there is a hierarchy, and cats are below people, and even below my furniture staying intact. After three weeks of trying to get her to stop scratching, I called the vet to schedule to have her front claws removed. I know it sounds cruel and horrible. DH and I are both conflicted about inflicting pain on our cat. I can’t imagine someone bringing me in to have my nails ripped out from the roots. Despite my apprehension, Lexi can’t live with us if she will eventually destroy our furniture, so either the claws go, or she goes.

The vet insisted on giving her an exam first ($!) before agreeing to schedule the surgery. And they want to keep her for two nights after the surgery ($!) and of course, her vaccinations should be up-to-date before they’ll perform the surgery ($!) and shouldn’t we get the leukemia vaccine ($!) even though she won’t be going outside, and maybe she needs to be de-wormed ($!), and look at that broken tooth, which they’ll have to keep an eye on ($!)!

The vet suggested that we not have Lexi declawed until we consider the options. We could train her (not working), or get little plastic caps glued over her nails and have them replaced about every 2 months. A cat that gets more manicures than me? I think not!

I almost fell off my chair when they gave me the estimate for the declawing. Between the adoption cost, vaccinations and the declawing, this cat is going to cost us a thousand bucks! Am I ever glad we didn’t get a dog. I don’t think we have the budget for it right now, plus cats are WAY less work than dogs. There was an annoying beagle mix dog in the waiting room at the vet’s on our way out, and I don’t think I could handle a dog that growls and howls like that.

So the declawing will take place on the 18th, and once Lexi’s paws aren’t sore anymore, we’ll all be happier.

2 comments:

Christine August 10, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

Well, if you got a dog you could always have it's voice box removed...but I think that would cost more?

Mark September 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

When I was a kid, my family always had a cat, except for the time my mom got a cocker spaniel from the Humane Society. Now, my wife and I have two dogs - a yellow labrador retriever we've had since a pup and a black and tan coonhound we adopted from a rescue organization last year.

According to the ASPCA, cats and dogs cost about the same annually, cats eat less but you have to buy litter.

My two recommendations about dogs would be: (1) don't get a small dog, they yap a lot. Hounds bark too but their bark is usually less annoying. :) (2) see if you can adopt a dog from the humane society or a rescue group - that gives a needy animal a forever home and it saves you having to potty train them!!! Big bonus.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP