Surgery Went Well

Monday, August 31, 2009

I just wanted to let everyone know that Precious' surgery went well and she is home and doing fine. We will be using copious amounts of Tylenol, and smaller amounts of antibiotics and codeine for the next week or so.

The surgery went well, was on time, and finished more or less on time. I went to the recovery room to see Precious and she was moaning like a wounded animal, which I guess she was. It was heart-wrenching. She had blood near her ears and some dried up on her nose. Then she was thrashing and kicking and yelling that she wanted her shoes on "right now!" She was hysterical, and tried to throw herself out of my arms. She hit at me and threw her shoes. I was having a hard time controlling her, and my emotions, too.

The nurse helped me get on her shoes. Precious calmed down a bit. We moved to the post-anaesthetic care unit. Then Precious wanted to watch a show "right now!". She was still restless and upset. The nurse got her a portable DVD player, loaded up Dora, but in the meantime Precious had calmed down and had fallen asleep. She had a two hour nap on my lap. I decided the anxiety of it all was too much and I had a little cry. The nurse came to see if I was o.k. A cry was just what I needed, so I felt better after.

Precious must not have been sleeping that deeply because when the nurse went to take her oxygen sats, which only involves putting a clip on her thumb, she freaked out and woke up and tucked her hands under her so the nurse couldn't reach her hands. And she did it several times. She has 'uncooperative' on her chart in several places now. She's getting quite the reputation!

When she woke up from her nap, she was back to normal. She had two glasses of juice and two popsicles. She wanted to walk around. During her nap, 4 different children had come into the room for observation and had been released. I felt like we had been there all day, although it had only been 5 hours at this point.

They were finally able to check her heart and her oxygen saturation. She was fine and could be sent home. They'd give her one more dose of codeine and we'd be on our way.

When we finally got home, I felt like I hadn't slept in a week. The anxiety of the whole thing and knowing about it for the last two months was too much to take. I made a pot of tea to calm my frazzled nerves, took two sips and ended up deciding a nap was a better idea. Our nanny was here so I was able to sleep for two hours. Precious joined me for the last hour and she ended up sleeping two hours.

I'll give her a dose of codeine before bed and hopefully she'll sleep well tonight.

The doctor didn't end up removing all of her adenoids, as she noticed that a part of her throat looked abnormally weak and floppy. So, the saga continues and I'll find out more on the internet and at our follow-up in two weeks with the ear, nose, throat doctor.

1 comments:

Care August 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

Sorry you had to go through that, but I hope it helps in the long term. When my oldest was 4, he had his appendix out, and had a tube in his nose after surgery...it broke my heart when he begged me to take it out, and when he pleaded for something to drink when he wasn't allowed...the children forget, but as a mom, it still stays with you....

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP