One of my favourite things is saving money

Friday, August 14, 2009

I’ve been eating ‘clean’ for a couple of months. I’m not really strict about it, but I try to choose whole foods more often, eat smaller, more frequent meals, fill up on water after eating, eat as many vegetables as I can tolerate.

One of the best foods out there is oatmeal. You’ve heard it said time and time again, right? DH and the kids like oatmeal, so I try it every once in a while, but the stuff is absolutely wretched. I cannot get past the slippery, slimy feel of the oatmeal. I need tons of sugar in it, and I still can’t eat more than a small spoonful.

I was talking to a friend and she told me she felt the same way about oatmeal but that she likes Irish oatmeal (aka steel cut oats). I thought I would give it a try. I almost balked when I saw that it takes over 30 minutes to prepare! I don’t always have that long to wait for breakfast in the morning.

I can’t remember what I put in my oatmeal the first time I made it; it might have been honey, but I actually liked it! I was thrilled. When we were camping in July, DH and I had Irish oatmeal for breakfast a few times, with cashews and bananas mixed in, or at home, I sometimes put frozen mixed berries in the pot for the last 10 minutes of cooking. I don’t need any sweetener (actually sugar and I have a love/hate relationship and I can’t eat too much of it) and I feel full for hours.

But what about saving money, you ask? DH bought a tiny box of Irish oatmeal at the grocery store for around 5 dollars. At Bulk Barn, I got a bag, with at least three times as much oatmeal, for $1.17. Eating better doesn’t have to cost more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP