Insanity Rules The Household

Monday, May 18, 2009

My husband tends to be 'thrifty'. Something else you might not know about him is that his desk is terribly messy. At work and at home. So what happened this past weekend will shock you.

First of all, he woke up Saturday morning (and let me sleep in) and started cleaning the heck out of our office. It took hours, but every last paper is filed, every surface is dusted, and every bill is paid. I can see more or less the entire work surface. It's utterly fantastic!

Later the same day, still on a roll and full of energy, DH went out shopping for TVs and beer (his words) and came home and uttered words I never thought I'd hear. "Go to the store and buy the floor model sectional I saw. Do it right now." When DH agrees to spend money, I don't hesitate! The floor model was a coffee colour (I wanted gray) and it wasn't the right configuration. I inquired about different configurations and different colours and didn't think we could work out a deal. The floor model was a good deal - about 25% off the regular price.

Here's the funny twist. I have been sectional shopping for about 4 months and had already seen the same sectional in this very same store, but in gray, and I had priced it out in the configuration I want. I did this during a big 25% off sale. She wrote down all the prices on a piece of paper and attached her business card. The very same salesperson was working last Saturday and she honoured my sales price. I'm not very good a bargaining but I managed to get the gray sectional, in the colour I want for the same price as the floor model.

I feel a bit like the cat that swallowed the canary. Two coups in one day. DH agreed to buy the sofa and I got us the one I wanted for about $1000 less than any of the other sectionals I liked. This sectional may not have been my ultimate favourite of the 6 'finalists', but it is microfibre, which is essential in our house, it is 8' 10" X 8' 10", which is the size we wanted, and it is Canadian-made, with a hardwood frame. The style is more transitional than modern, but that just means its more versatile!

That's not the end of the story.

I got home around 5:00 and DH was still hot on the idea of getting the TV that he had been out looking at earlier in the day. Sometimes I wonder how DH lives without a Blackberry. He's loathe to make a decision without checking the internet first. When we're discussing things, he'll jump up to check facts (read: prove me wrong) on the internet. After further research, and after discovering that the store was open until 6:00, DH headed out bought the TV, and we're getting it next week. We'll have a TV but nowhere to sit for 8 - 10 weeks (the downside of not getting the floor model sectional) but we do have a few chairs in the basement and we'll survive.

Now DH is telling me to go out and buy an area rug. Believe me, I will striking when the iron is hot. I don't know what's come over him. When he's sleeping, I'll be checking to see if he's an alien dressed up in DH's skin.

1 comments:

Carole L.,  May 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

congrats on the new sectional--microfibre is a miracle fabric (a damp cloth removes ballpoint pen marks!?)

when we first looked for sectionals, I could *not* believe how expensive they were, but we've really, really, enjoyed ours.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP