Pop-Up Flash innovation!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I have my last photography class tonight. After the first class, I gave the teacher a list of things I wanted to learn and questions I had. It's been great because he's been able to answer all of my questions and more.

The best thing I have learned so far is that I can actually use my pop-up flash. To date, I've been using f/1.8 whenever possible and shooting in natural light. I've used my pop-up only in the evenings, and on the auto setting, thus I got blown out cheekbones and red eyes! But what I didn't realize is that I can use the flash and still get the effect I want, with the bonus of those lovely catchlights in the kids' eyes!

In the photo below, I had lots of natural light coming in from the side of Sweet Pea's face. Despite the fact that I'm offended by the amount of snow we have right now, it does bounce up a lot of light. You can see the large rectangular catchlight in her eye. Then, I stopped down my pop-up flash by 1 2/3 and also got the little circular catchlight. I can't wait to play around with the flash at different intensities and even in lower light situations. I asked SP if the flash was bothering her or if it was too bright and she said 'no'. This photo is straight out of the camera. I'm really excited by the possibilities, and of course this makes me want to get a speedlite too!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP