Kiss The Blarney Stone And All That

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How Irish am I? Not all that much. At one point, I figured I was about a quarter Irish, but nothing could be further from the truth. I'm more of a Heinz 57. All of my grandparents were born in Canada. On my mom's side, her dad's parents came from Austria. Her mom was born in Canada and was half (or possibly a quarter) French and half (or a quarter) Aboriginal. On my dad's side, there are a lot of people from Ireland, Scotland and at least a couple from England.

Luckily, my dad's Dad, Poppa, was really into geneology and he did research on his family. We have a fairly detailed family tree for that side, with information going back 6 generations from me, including dates and locations of births, dates of marriage and dates of death.
When you look back on my dad's side, you'll see that I have at least 2 great-great-great grandparents who were born in Canada, around 1826. That really surprised me. I colour coded everyone where the information was available. Red boxes are Canadians. Green are Irish. Blue are Scottish and yellow is English.

On my dad's mom's side, it is my great-grandfather (her dad) and great-great grandparents (her mom's parents) who were born abroad, so I guess it is less surprising that she had a bit of an Irish way of speaking. The first time I read Angela's Ashes, I was shocked to discover that the characters in that story spoke was just like my Nannie.

It doesn't really matter how Irish I am because everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Happy St.Patrick's Day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP