Gearing Up

Friday, January 2, 2009

We are now finishing week 7 of our basement reno. The structural stuff is all done. The toilet plumbing has been moved to the proper position. The central vac has been upgraded and moved to the garage. The pot lights and other electrical items have been roughed in. The header has been insulated, the walls have been framed and the insulation installed. The speaker wire, cable and telephone have been routed to the appropriate places. Two layers of subflooring have been installed. About half of the drywall is up.

I spoke to the general contractor on Wednesday, and he predicts it will be another 6 weeks from January 5th before the basement is done. They still have lots of drywall to install, 30-something pot lights, plus at least 5 other lights to put up, the powder room fixtures to install, the bar cabinetry to build and install, the armoire to build and install, the trim, doors, closets, flooring, painting, etc. etc.

During the process of agreeing to this basement reno, we were originally told that the reno would take 2-3 weeks. Then, about 5 months later, right before we signed, we were told it would take 3-4 weeks. On the first day of the reno, the construction manager showed up and said it would be at least 6 weeks. Now he is telling us 12 - 13 weeks.

I've always heard that these things go over budget and over time, but I really thought it wouldn't happen to us. The fact that the basement isn't done doesn't bother me as much as the mess in the rest of the house, and the fact that we can't park in the garage right now. When the temperature is -17 degrees Celcius (1 degree F), it gets harder to start the car. When there is freezing rain, it adds 10 minutes to my commute when I have to scrape the car before I can drive away. Really, not much to complain about, but I would still like the basement to be done!

I bought some more furniture for the basement so now we are storing that on the main floor too. We got these barstools in white. I am very excited to see them in front of our dark-stained maple bar with the black countertop. I think they'll look great.

1 comments:

Sylvie January 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM  

I can't help but think what wonderful whiteboards those white stools would make... Ha!Ha! That's the mother in me!!!
Well, the renos are taking longer than expected but at least they are getting done! It sounds exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP