Creative Block

Thursday, December 11, 2008

All around me, on the internet, and at the stores, are fantastic ideas for scrapbooking, photography and fabric arts. At Christmastime, there are even more ideas inspired by the festive season. With so many ideas out there, where is my inspiration and creativity? Hibernating because of all snow and cold weather? Used up by my busier-than-usual schedule? Maybe I am getting some of my creativity out at work (doubtful). It could be that after reading some pretty amazing blogs on a regular basis, I feel that my mediocre creativity just doesn't cut it anymore. I certainly feel that way about my photography when I see certain sites, especially Danielle Thompson's, Andrea Burns', and Holly McCaig's.

I was planning to make place cards for my Christmas dinner, and just couldn't get inspired. I bought little spice jars at IKEA and had planned to fill them with colourful candy, then add a tag with the guest's name and place it at their seat. Over the last month I've probably spent an hour surfing the net for different card and tag ideas. Many of them were very nice, but nothing really inspired me. Nothing resonated with me or excited me. Finally, I decided to buy the candies for the jars as budget is a concern and I knew my choices of festive candies at an affordable price were limited. In the bulk section of the grocery store, I found scotch mints that are light minty green. At $2.99/lb, they fit the budget better than the $6.99/lb red and green M&Ms. I bought two big bags. When I got home, I looked through my scrapbooking paper stash, and finally the inspiration hit. Simply having a colour to start with was so much easier than starting from scratch.

I spent about an hour listening to the hockey game on the computer while I made tags for all of the relatives who will definitely attend. I used mostly shades of green including celery and kelly green. Some papers have dots, other are floral, and other are just textured. I added a sticker or a snowflake brad to each tag, and attached them to the candy jars. I don't have a final head count yet, but I made 30 jars of candy and have a bunch of blank tags. I may be filling out names on Christmas night!

I am pleased with how the place cards came out, and the scotch mints are tasty, too!

3 comments:

Christine December 12, 2008 at 5:17 PM  

First of all, you are very creative and you inspire me all the time! Secondly, you've had a busy couple of weeks, fatigue KILLS creativity (I suffer from this a lot!!), Thirdly: look at those crazy cute place markers! Wow. I can't even remember to open the darn advent calendar, let alone craft together 30 odd place markers!
And one more thing.. don't compare to those people, they get paid to do that so have A LOT of experience and practice. Just keep learning and set your own goals!

Mindy December 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

I have to echo Christine in all of what she said. Remember who you are doing things for - yourself! Set your own goals and remember to pat yourself on the back for a job well done every now and then! The place settings look great!

Mike December 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM  

And if you forget to pat yourself on the back, there are a bunch of us friends and relatives who like and admire you who are willing to do so for you.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP