Slippery When Wet

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First of all, it is snowing. It has been snowing since Monday night and it's scarcely stopped. Wait, no, it stopped snowing a few times when it was raining. We're notorious for freezing rain around here, and tonight was a perfect example of the worst possible driving conditions. It was snowing and raining at the same time and the temperature was hovering around zero Celcius (freezing). I carefully headed out to my hockey game. It did not go unnoticed by me that there was a thin sheet of ice on my car that I had to scrape off. I'm parking in the driveway because the contents of my basement have been emptied into my garage. Thin sheet of ice on the car equals thin sheet of ice on the roads.

Let me preface this next part by saying that I'll make a really good old-lady driver someday. I'm a little cautious and don't like to use the brakes very often. I prefer to coast to a stop. I don't accelerate overly fast either. I justify it by saying I'm getting better gas mileage and also saving the life of my car, both of which are true, by the way. So, I head out to my hockey game this evening, and I'm slowly (15 kms/h) approaching the first intersection, when I touch the brakes and my car promptly does a 180. Thank goodness no one else was on the street or parked there. I had very little control over the car. Since I was going so slowly, it was actually a good opportunity for me to practice my technique of steering into the turn so I can get some traction. It worked, by the way, but only once I was already facing the other direction.

Since I was already facing home, I thought about just driving back right away and skipping hockey, but I really love hockey, and I expected that the main roads would be better. Around here, we spread salt all over the roads when the conditions are like this. The salt melts the ice and makes driving safer, but it wreaks havoc on the body of the car, our shoes, boots, pant cuffs and car mats.

I was right and the main roads were fine. I made it to hockey on time, and even make it home again.

1 comments:

Christine November 27, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Oh fess up Beth, you wanted to try a 180, just to see what the car would do!! :) Good thing you made it out to hockey to kick our butts!! Oh man it was a bad game (for us).

BTW - I almost bit it too on Tuesday night...scary. Get's the heart rate going...

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP