5 Simple Steps to Cooking Dinner for 30

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I am hosting Christmas for my mom's family this year. With my grandma, her 6 kids and all of their kids, and all of their kids, it can get kind of crowded. I've estimated 30 people for dinner. That includes the 5 of us, so really only 25 guests. A lot of people haven't RSVP'd, which is causing me a bit of anxiety.

SandiegoMomma asks "Now, as for your 30-person Christmas dinner: what are you going to cook? I must know how you're going to do it all. I could use the advice."

We will be having the full-blown turkey dinner on Christmas. Turkey and everything that goes with it. Mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, root vegetables, desserts, etc. How will this be accomplished? I will do what I do best. Organize, delegate and manage this 'project'.

Step 1: decorate the house for Christmas as early as possible, which usually means no earlier than Dec 1st, if DH has anything to say about it. I really enjoy this part, and this is something I would do whether I was hosting a dinner or not.

Step 2: rent tables, chairs and dishes. It'll be the best $100 I ever spent, especially if I can convince someone to help me out by picking them up and delivering them here on Dec 23rd.

Step 3: enlist dear Aunt to coordinate all of the side dishes. Yes, everyone is bringing something. In our rather traditional (read: old-fashioned) family, this usually means complicated, expensive dishes from the women, and buns and butter or pop from the men. ;-)

Step 4: beg DH to make his delicious turkey, the one thing other than the venue that we are providing.

Step 5: be gracious and thank everyone for helping out. Enjoy the evening, then put the rented dishes into the boxes and send them back. The best part is that the rental company washes them!

Sounds good on paper. Check in with me Christmas morning and see how I'm doing!

2 comments:

Mike November 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM  

What do you need picked up, and when?

Mike

thebuchanans November 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM  

Hi Beth, Are you going to cook your turkey in the oven or BBQ?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP