Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Where have I been? Why haven't I blogged? What is going on? Four days and no word from Beth, but I'm happy to say I am back. I have half an hour before I have to get Mr. Boy from school and I have lots to tell you.

First of all, DH's grandfather died last week and DH left on Saturday for Regina. He's on his way home as we speak, although the last leg of his flight is delayed.

I started work on Monday, despite DH being away. My brother kindly came over at 6 a.m. and stayed with the kids until the nanny arrived. He got them ready, fed them breakfast, brushed their hair, dressed them, etc., and walked them to school.

Also on Monday, the windows installers came to install our new windows. We were having all 11 windows and one patio door replaced. When I got home from work on Monday, the nanny said everything with the kids had gone well. I assumed the installers were doing a good job, despite the huge mess they were making. It is construction after all, and the vacuumed up at the end of the day.

Tuesday I was getting annoyed with the windows installers. They were loud and messy, and I don't know how people can stand to have renovations done in their house while they are living there! I caught one installer walking on the family room carpet with his boots, but I was too scared to say anything to them. Instead, I brought drop cloths from the basement and put them on the carpet so at least it wouldn't get dirtier.

The windows installers finally left around 3 and by then I had had it. I called the manager at the window company and described the mess, as well as issues with the insulation, trim and colour of the flashing. They sent a manager over and he verified all of my complaints. I was pretty upset about the whole thing and the manager offered to pay for the carpet cleaning and they called a meeting to discuss how to resolve the issues I was having. Today, there is a real carpenter here fixing up the poorly done trim, and tomorrow, they will be coming to replace all of the flashing on the outside with the correct colour. While the flashing is off, they'll be injecting the spray foam. They'll install the patio door, and then I'll probably spend another couple of hours cleaning and mopping, but at least they'll be done!

Last night was piano lessons for both older children, and I hired a babysitter to watch the other children. While I was in the piano lessons with Sweet Pea, it started snowing! Yes, snowing!!! My winter tires aren't on yet, and even though I have all-season tires, they are getting towards the end of their life. Definitely not ideal for driving in snow. I had to drive Precious to preschool and I also had a physiotherapy appointment, and I wasn't sure I would be able to make it. I managed to get there, but I was late picking up Sweet Pea after school.

I had heard there would be snow, so I had all of the winter boots, jackets, hats and mitts out, but I hadn't gotten the snow pants out, so this morning I was looking for them and managed to get everyone into a pair that fits. Success! I even got a cute picture of Precious after we dropped off the other two at school. Precious wanted to take off her mitts so she could feel the snow.I'm Canadian, eh, but I'm really not used to this much snow in October. Heaven help us!

1 comments:

Mindy October 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

thanks for blogging and for the update. Sorry you caught me cleaning on the weekend it would have been nice to visit with guys. We have had a tough week Monday full day at CHEO and Wednesday mtg with C's school but alas it is Friday and Halloween so there should be some fun in store...be sure to email me a halloween costume pic of your crew

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP