What's wrong with SOOC?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dear fellow bloggers,

I haven't been able to help noticing that many of you are really good at photography. And you're creative. And you have a background in design, or writing, or both. Well, stop it. You're making the rest of us look bad!

I read things on your blog like "I would never post a photo without touching it up or running two or more actions on it, actions that I wrote myself in my free time."

Whatever happened to snapshots? Do you have any? Do all of your posted photos have to be super close-ups of your children with all of their blemishes removed, their skin glowing, their eyes sparkling, and the entire background blurred?

Whatever happened to shots like this?
This is me (in the front) in 1974, when my brother turned 2. I was 3 1/2. I love seeing the mismatched tile floor, the dining set my dad still owns, and the 'stubby' beer bottle in my little brother's hand. I don't think he drank the whole thing by himself, BTW.

Ever since I got my new Canon Xti, I'll admit, I've been a bit of a sucker for the short depth of field photos with no flash, but as DH reminded me the other day, it doesn't matter if there are harsh shadows or the background is cluttered, it is nice to have a few snapshots along with all of the 'glamour' shots.

I refuse to be paralyzed by fear anymore. Just because I don't have an hour to retouch my photos before I post them, I will still post. I don't care if my blog isn't as slick as yours. I'm just glad to get some photos up here. I will still retouch some of my photos to get the 'ooh, aah' from my loyal readers, but every once in a while, when Photoshop (Elements, and 5.0, no less) and I are in a tiff, I will post things straight out of the camera! Yes, that's right. No retouching. No colour correcting. No actions. Nothing. Bare and naked, well, the photo anyway. Just to prove my point, fellow bloggers, here is an adorable shot of my kids from yesterday when Precious was squeezing Mr. Boy's cheeks. Sure it was darn sunny. Sure, I was too far away. I don't care. There. I've said it. I am posting straight out of the camera today.
And I just may do it again. Just watch me.

Sincerely,
Beth's Favourite Things

2 comments:

Christine September 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM  

Oh, the horrors, SOOC!!!! How could you live so DANGEROUSLY!! HA! I hear ya! But I am one of those who runs at least one action and I did write a couple myself. I should try living dangerously too!

And another thing - we all post the happy smiling, all getting along photos... what about real life, which happens 99% of the time? I want to see some of that too sometimes!

meddler September 4, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

I cannot say how long it took me to figure out what SOOC meant. It required a re-read of the post, and time in between.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP