Transition Time

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mr. Boy started camp on Monday morning. This is like a preview of this school year where he will be going full days for the first time. I picked him up from the bus on Monday night at 4:45 after camp and he was surly on the way home. Turns out he had had only one carrot stick and one grape tomato for lunch and his snack was at 9:00 a.m.. He had had barely eaten for 8 hours. He told me he didn't have time to eat because he had to clean up the sandcastle he had built in the morning. And there were big line-ups for the toilets. .

Tuesday Mr. Boy came home and had a huge blister on his foot and was as surly as the day before, but at least he had managed to eat part of his sandwich, and at lunchtime, too.

So far, this 'preview' wasn't going quite as planned. I imagined Sweet Pea and Precious playing together for hours on end, and bonding and having fun, just like Sweet Pea and Mr. Boy did this year. Instead, Sweet Pea wants ME to be her playmate. To encourage her to play with Precious, I've been bringing Precious in on it, or saying "that's a game that's fun for kids", because dressing and pretending to feed dolls for an hour isn't exactly my idea of fun.

To make matters worse, Precious has become a little tyrant, biting, hitting, and especially pinching her siblings. I know she is doing it for attention and because she is frustrated because she can't speak well, but it is frustrating for us too. I don't know how to handle it because I have no experience with this. Precious doesn't seem to be at all bothered by time-outs, distraction, yelling, or us saying 'no'. I've also tried explaining and told her that her siblings won't want to play with her if she is mean to them, but I don't think she quite understands.

To top it all off, Precious has decided to fight her naps, and make sure they are darn short when she does have them.

The times they are a-changin' around here right now! I will adapt, eventually. I'm excited for the new school year to start. This is the real new year's if you ask me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP