Favourite Red Wine

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

For Christmas, my brother gave me a signed copy of the book Red, White and Drunk all Over, by Natalie MacLean. It's all about wine, from an author who is a bit of a self-taught wine outsider who now makes her living writing about wine.

While she gives a specific wine recommendations on her website and in her newsletter, in her book she says what you might expect, something along the lines of "Try many wines and think about what you are drinking, develop your palette and make your own decisions". Rather than just picking the nicest label, or what's on sale, or, heaven forbid, making my own wine, I decided that it might be a good idea for me to get an idea of what wines I like.

I decided to start with what I figured was my favourite wine, Cabernet Sauvignon, go to my local liquor store and buy a whole bunch of Cab Sauv's (as my brother-in-law calls them), try them and take notes. I got a bit discouraged when I realized that the first few were swill. I had chosen all of the Chilean Cab Sauv's, as Natalie (we're on a first name basis, don't you know) had said that Chilean wines tended to be a good value. I'm nothing if not one for good value.

So after realizing that I don't much care for Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, I decided to try a wine DH and I had been recommended at dinner for our first wedding anniversary, back in 2001. That one wasn't bad, and I started to get hopeful I would finally find wine that I like. I hit pay dirt when I tried the next wine. I was out of town and stopped off at a tiny liquor store in the middle of nowhere. I picked up a Farnese Farneto Valley Sangiovese 2006. I took it home and tried it. My tasting notes (yes tasting notes!) were:

-true red
-smells like raspberries
-light tasting
-body-medium
-would be good with food.

I'm starting to sound pretty hoity-toity, aren't I?

I'll tell you why I love this wine so much. It is apparently good with spaghetti bolognese, which is one of my favourite foods. Sangiovese, also known as chianti, brings back good memories of a wonderful dinner DH and I shared on our honeymoon in Rome. I love raspberries and that's the bouquet of this wine. It didn't taste good the next day, after I put the cork back in and tried more with dinner the next night, which means you have to drink the whole bottle at once. The best part was that the wine was only $7.25/bottle. I'm no expert, but I'd call that a good value.

2 comments:

Natalie MacLean August 13, 2008 at 4:08 AM  

Thanks for reading my book Beth! I agree that the wine you had is a terrific value: great taste for the money.

Cheers,
Natalie

www.nataliemaclean.com

Nat Decants Free Wine Newsletter

Christine August 13, 2008 at 6:35 AM  

Thanks for the recommendation. I may go out and try that.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP