One Man's Poison is Another Man's Pleasure

Friday, July 18, 2008

My mom has some pretty good sayings. I've mentioned a few before, but she also used to say 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' and 'one man's poison is another man's pleasure'. The first expression was used to provoke us into telling her (and others) what we wanted. The second probably referred to alcohol, but my mom used it when she wanted to convey that not everyone has the same taste or needs the same things.

I remember back when I was little, and we didn't have home garbage collection because we lived in the country. We used to burn our garbage or take things to the dump. I remember burning one of those Tupperware spoon rests that you keep on your stove, and how I was able to coat the end of a stick with it. Cool but toxic!

We would go to the dump in my dad's diesel Toyota pickup truck and one time as we were dropping something off, I noticed an old desk, in the style of the old school houses, where the arm turned into the writing surface, and there was a drawer under the seat. I can't remember if there was an inkwell holder or not. I wanted to take the desk home, but my mom made me ask my dad. (The squeaky wheel gets the grease). We took it home and painted it and used it for many years until we sold it in a garage sale. (One man's poison is another man's pleasure.)

Just the first in a long succession of DIY projects!

3 comments:

Mindy July 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

What a cool memory you blogged about. Do you have a picture of that desk? What a great scrapbook page that would make...

Mindy July 22, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

I think I saw your desk or another like it a Boomerang Kids today...it was an old fashioned desk with a hole for the ink and it was painted blue could it be the one you sold many years ago?? Sometimes the world isn't so small after all. Just thought I would mention it since it was too much of a coincidence

Beth July 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

I HAVE to go to Boomerang. Was it the one near SuperStore?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP