Yoga Grrrl

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I started doing yoga when I was pregnant with Mr. Boy over 6 years ago. I'm sure it helped me have a quick, drug-free birth. I felt strong and powerful and fierce. I kept doing yoga on and off and had heard of hot yoga but with two more pregnancies and breastfeeding, I didn't think it was the right time to be doing yoga in a room as hot as my body!

About 18 months ago, I decided to try the yoga studio near my place. To tell you the truth, I was a bit of a snob about it because I couldn't imagine that a yoga studio in the suburbs could be any good. I went for a drop-in class that a friend of a friend had recommended and I was hooked. I signed up for a year-long pass that very day. I was more or less a fixture at the owner's Sunday morning hot power yoga class for many months. I'd also drop into her Thursday night class once in a while. In my dream life, I have time for a daily yoga class, and I'm working towards that, but for now, it is once or maybe twice a week.

I decided to go out on a limb and try a new teacher around 6 months ago. To tell you the truth, I was getting a little bored with the same class over and over. So I tried Justine's Hot Power class. For about the first three minutes, I thought it might be too easy. Boy, was I wrong! Justine's class is nothing if not strenuous. The other great thing about Justine's class is that it is never the same twice. She works really hard and prepares for every class by creating a theme and working towards that theme the whole time. She is so focussed. And flexible. And serene. She has a detached caring about her that is supportive and loving. She is truly inspiring. And you should see her practice yoga. It is breathtaking.

So I learned that trying something new can work out really well. I've found a place that is just right for me. I'm always challenged. I feel supported. I want Justine to teach me more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP