Granola Crunchers

Friday, June 6, 2008

Yesterday was one of those days where I barely sat down. Dropped the older kids at school, then Precious, then errands, pick up the older two, more errands, pick up Precious, race home to meet the Home Depot window guy (he beat me here), feed the kids lunch, put Precious to bed, come downstairs to find another window person at the door, and before she even left Precious was out of bed. Boy was that a bummer! Not a long nap, especially for a little girl who had been up since 5:15.

After snack, we managed some outdoor playtime (I cut the grass and weeded while the kids played), then off to pick up Daddy from work, then to Mr. Boy's hockey game. I ran out to Costco while he was playing. We came home and had supper and then it was bath and bed time. Did my day end there? NO! I did four loads of laundry, went to the Beer Store, got a toy for Precious, went to Farm Boy and Loblaws, then came home and made ice cream sandwiches and folded more laundry. It was about 9:15 p.m. by this time and I just wanted to sit down and watch Men In Trees which I had taped the night before. That's right - I taped it on a VCR tape. No PVR at our house. More on that some other day.

Could I watch the show! NO! No time to watch t.v. because the cleaners who come every two weeks (best money I ever spent) were coming this morning and "picking up" takes me about 45 minutes. This is also when I do my kids' art cull and all of the Kindersurprise/loot bag/McDonald's toys find their way to toy heaven in the garbage bag.

I am trying to go to bed earlier lately but it was 10 p.m. and I hadn't done anything just for me the whole day. I didn't even blog. So despite the late hour, I watched Men In Trees and it was good. I was really liking Anne Heche's new hair style. I think it might suit me even though I look nothing like her.

So I'm finally getting to the post title. On Wednesday, I went to see a naturopath for the first time. After my traditional doctor suggested Prozac for my "female" mood swings, I decided it was time to look for a new approach. I've also got 15 extra pounds clinging to me since baby #3, and I am more tired than I have ever been in my life. I've been taking iron supplements for over 2 years and my iron levels haven't budged.

The naturopath scheduled me for a whole hour for the first visit and she asked me all kinds of questions. It felt like I was doing therapy because she wanted to know about the stressors in my life, what I eat, and the status of my relationships. She was especially curious about my pregnancies. Three children in 3 1/2 years! What was I thinking? ha ha! She suggested that I need to try a new kind of iron pill, eat protein at each meal, and once I've boosted up my system a bit, she wants me to do a cleanse. Not a fast, but just eat a bunch of super-healthy and cleansing foods for a specified amount of time. Then it will be time to examine my food sensitivities.

I feel like a fool for not realizing I wasn't eating enough protein. No wonder I was starving all the time and eating every two hours. Yesterday I ate a handful of almonds with my morning cereal, and it was a full hour and a half later than usual when I started craving a snack.

I'm keeping a food journal to show the doctor in two weeks when I go back for my physical exam. Knowing that I'll be showing this to her has made me a little more conscientious about what I eat. And there are a few less beers on there than there might normally be. Because someone's looking.

So I'll let you know how it all turns out. I'm keeping an open mind and realizing that my reality is pretty small. There are all kinds of interesting options out there. I don't think I'll be switching to all hemp clothing and chanting just yet, but I haven't ruled it out. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP